Welcome to Makira Gold, a direct trade, Cacao Social Enterprise dedicated to enabling cacao farming communities in the Solomon Islands to reach their premium grade potential through building a vertically integrated business model.
We are one of the leading consolidators and exporters of the specialty cacao market within the Solomon Islands.
We provide direct trade access to the emerging, premium quality, sundried cacao beans of the Solomon Islands.
We currently supply cacao beans for the bean to bar craft chocolate market in Australia and also to Europe with other markets to follow in 2018. We also supply lightly processed cacao products such as cacao nibs for wholesale and retail markets in Australia.
Other products currently in development include wholesale couverture chocolate, retail chocolate, cacao butter and cacao powder.
If you would like to enquire about our current products or products in development, please contact us via our contact page.
We run projects across the following cacao/chocolate supply chains:
- Cacao farming – we have small family owned cacao farm and a fermentary/sundrying facilities on the island of Makira in the Solomon Islands.
- Cacao co-op – we work with cacao farmers in the West Makira district to improve post harvest processing to access the specialty cacao markets to provide farmers with a fairer and higher price.
- Consolidation – We buy premium grade, sundried cacao beans from cacao farmers across the Solomon Islands.
- Export – We export sundried cacao beans from Honiara to overseas markets.
- Australian distribution and sales – From Brisbane we sell cacao beans to craft chocolate makers, and cacao nibs to retail and wholesale markets.
- Chocolate production – We produce bean to bar chocolate, however this will not be available for commercial sales until 2018.